Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Mon January 21, 2013
Illinois Politicians Refuse Pension Checks
Illinois' multibillion dollar pension crisis has prompted a rising number of lawmakers to say they won't accept their legislative pension.
At least two dozen of the 177 members of the House and Senate have opted out of the General Assembly pension system. Many lawmakers pledged during their campaigns not to take the pension. But that doesn't mean they'll never get a state retirement check. Some earned pensions in previous jobs.