Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Tue June 26, 2012
Illinois Officials Urge Safe Grilling
The Illinois State Fire Marshal is urging people to take safety steps before enjoying the outdoor grilling season.
Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis says grillers should inspect the grill to ensure all parts are functioning properly. There were about 170 grill related fires in Illinois last year. The National Fire Protection Association says gas grills are the leading cause of about 7,000 home fires in the U.S. each year. Matkaitis says grills should only be used outside, and should be a safe distance from foot traffic.