Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Tue June 26, 2012
Illinois Officials Urge Safe Grilling
The Illinois State Fire Marshal is urging people to take safety steps before enjoying the outdoor grilling season.
Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis says grillers should inspect the grill to ensure all parts are functioning properly. There were about 170 grill related fires in Illinois last year. The National Fire Protection Association says gas grills are the leading cause of about 7,000 home fires in the U.S. each year. Matkaitis says grills should only be used outside, and should be a safe distance from foot traffic.