Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
Tue June 26, 2012
Illinois Officials Urge Safe Grilling
The Illinois State Fire Marshal is urging people to take safety steps before enjoying the outdoor grilling season.
Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis says grillers should inspect the grill to ensure all parts are functioning properly. There were about 170 grill related fires in Illinois last year. The National Fire Protection Association says gas grills are the leading cause of about 7,000 home fires in the U.S. each year. Matkaitis says grills should only be used outside, and should be a safe distance from foot traffic.