Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Tue May 22, 2012
Illinois House Ends Legislative Scholarships
Governor Pat Quinn says an Illinois House decision to end the Legislature's tuition waiver program makes it a good day for taxpayers.
Earlier this month, the state Senate agreed to stop letting lawmakers hand out free college education to certain constituents. It ends a century-old practice plagued by allegations of corruption and political favoritism. Quinn says the move to end the program will benefit deserving students in financial need. The governor says he is looking forward to signing the legislation.