Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue May 22, 2012
Illinois House Ends Legislative Scholarships
Governor Pat Quinn says an Illinois House decision to end the Legislature's tuition waiver program makes it a good day for taxpayers.
Earlier this month, the state Senate agreed to stop letting lawmakers hand out free college education to certain constituents. It ends a century-old practice plagued by allegations of corruption and political favoritism. Quinn says the move to end the program will benefit deserving students in financial need. The governor says he is looking forward to signing the legislation.