Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue May 22, 2012
Illinois House Ends Legislative Scholarships
Governor Pat Quinn says an Illinois House decision to end the Legislature's tuition waiver program makes it a good day for taxpayers.
Earlier this month, the state Senate agreed to stop letting lawmakers hand out free college education to certain constituents. It ends a century-old practice plagued by allegations of corruption and political favoritism. Quinn says the move to end the program will benefit deserving students in financial need. The governor says he is looking forward to signing the legislation.