Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu May 10, 2012
Illinois House Ends Free Health Insurance for Retirees
Longtime Illinois state employees would no longer be able get free health insurance when they retire under legislation approved yesterday by the state House.
The vote is part of a push to cut pension benefits for government retirees. Governor Pat Quinn, along with House Speaker Michael Madigan and other officials want to save money by cutting pensions, health care and other costs. Right now, people who spend 20 years working for the state don't have to pay health insurance premiums in retirement. The measure now heads to the state Senate. Legislators say it’s a difficult move that must be made if Illinois is going to repair its budget.