Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed April 17, 2013
Illinois Doctors Ask for Medical Marijuana Legalization
Nearly 250 Illinois physicians are calling on state lawmakers to legalize the use of marijuana for seriously ill patients.
Some physicians say marijuana can be a safer and more effective treatment than narcotics for patients with diseases such as cancer and HIV.
The Illinois House is expected to vote today to create a medical marijuana pilot program. It would allow doctors who have an existing relationship with a patient to prescribe marijuana for certain conditions. Patients would be limited to buying 2 and a half ounces at a time from dispensaries regulated by the state.