Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed April 17, 2013
Illinois Doctors Ask for Medical Marijuana Legalization
Nearly 250 Illinois physicians are calling on state lawmakers to legalize the use of marijuana for seriously ill patients.
Some physicians say marijuana can be a safer and more effective treatment than narcotics for patients with diseases such as cancer and HIV.
The Illinois House is expected to vote today to create a medical marijuana pilot program. It would allow doctors who have an existing relationship with a patient to prescribe marijuana for certain conditions. Patients would be limited to buying 2 and a half ounces at a time from dispensaries regulated by the state.