Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Crime Victims' Bills Signed
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed three bills yesterday to beef up existing laws and practices which protect crime victims.
The Crime Victims Compensation Act was established in the 1970s to help reduce the financial burden on victims of violent crime and their families. Now enforcement officers have to provide a copy of victims’ rights within 48 hours of first contact and explain financial assistance they might qualify for. Other new laws increase compensation available to victims.