Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Crime Victims' Bills Signed
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed three bills yesterday to beef up existing laws and practices which protect crime victims.
The Crime Victims Compensation Act was established in the 1970s to help reduce the financial burden on victims of violent crime and their families. Now enforcement officers have to provide a copy of victims’ rights within 48 hours of first contact and explain financial assistance they might qualify for. Other new laws increase compensation available to victims.