Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Crime Victims' Bills Signed
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed three bills yesterday to beef up existing laws and practices which protect crime victims.
The Crime Victims Compensation Act was established in the 1970s to help reduce the financial burden on victims of violent crime and their families. Now enforcement officers have to provide a copy of victims’ rights within 48 hours of first contact and explain financial assistance they might qualify for. Other new laws increase compensation available to victims.