Most Active Stories
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Source 'Mid Continent Lays Off All Staff'-Leadership Meeting Before Issuing Public Comment
- TN Police Officer: Open Carry Gun Bill Hurts All of Us
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Crime Victims' Bills Signed
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed three bills yesterday to beef up existing laws and practices which protect crime victims.
The Crime Victims Compensation Act was established in the 1970s to help reduce the financial burden on victims of violent crime and their families. Now enforcement officers have to provide a copy of victims’ rights within 48 hours of first contact and explain financial assistance they might qualify for. Other new laws increase compensation available to victims.