Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Mon May 27, 2013
IL Trying To Return 108 Forgotten War Medals
The state of Illinois is holding more than a 100 lost or forgotten military medals in its vaults under the capitol and is trying to return them to the families of veterans. State Treasurer Dan Rutherford is asking everyone to take a moment on this Memorial Day to see if they recognize any of the names on a list of veterans whose military honors are held by the state.
The 108 medals span more than a century of conflicts with one dating back to the 1898 Spanish-American War. There are Purple Hearts, Bronze Stars and a Navy Cross. Many of the items come from forgotten safe deposit boxes. Banks eventually transfer the contents to the treasurer's office.
The veterans' names can be found at www.treasurer.il.gov .