Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu October 16, 2008
IL State Treasurer to Make $1 Billon Deposit
By Carrie Pond
Springfield, IL – Financial experts say the state treasurer's plan to deposit $1 billion in Illinois banks will make it easier for banks to lend money during the economic crisis. Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias says he'll reallocate the money from other state investments whose returns are dropping. He says the interest rate on bank deposits is better. Leo Harmon is senior director of a money management firm and head of the treasurer's investment advisory board. He says the plan also will brace consumer confidence in banks, preventing mass withdrawals that can destroy a bank.