Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu January 3, 2013
IL Senate Committee Approves Gun, Magazine Restrictions
An Illinois Senate committee has approved restrictions on semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The bills are now on their way to the full Senate. One measure bans the sale of semiautomatic handguns and rifles. People who already own such weapons can keep them, but they will have to register them. The second proposal would limit ammunition magazines to 10 or fewer rounds.
Bill sponsor Senator Dan Katowski says he wants to focus on high capacity magazines because they make assault weapons more lethal. National Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde says the bills treat law-abiding gun owners like criminals. Katowski counters, saying gun owners should have nothing to worry about.