Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Wed May 20, 2009
By Carrie Pond
Marion, IL – A southern Illinois man is charged with first-degree murder after police found a body buried in his yard. A state official says 46-year-old Elmer Atkins Jr. of Marion is charged in the death of 51-year-old Matthew Lutchen. Atkins' mother, Edna Atkins, also is charged with concealing a homicidal death. Both were held on bond. Authorities say the two were arrested Tuesday after police found the body in a shallow grave a few feet from the Atkins' mobile home. Lutchen had been dead at least four months but investigators don't yet know how he died.