Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed May 20, 2009
By Carrie Pond
Marion, IL – A southern Illinois man is charged with first-degree murder after police found a body buried in his yard. A state official says 46-year-old Elmer Atkins Jr. of Marion is charged in the death of 51-year-old Matthew Lutchen. Atkins' mother, Edna Atkins, also is charged with concealing a homicidal death. Both were held on bond. Authorities say the two were arrested Tuesday after police found the body in a shallow grave a few feet from the Atkins' mobile home. Lutchen had been dead at least four months but investigators don't yet know how he died.