Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu August 1, 2013
IL Lt. Gov. To Run For State Comptroller
Illinois Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon will run for State Comptroller in 2014. The Carbondale Democrat is traveled across the state yesterday making her official campaign announcement. Simon says the office is an opportunity to be a strong fiscal watchdog for the state.
"And also to engage people," she said. "And knowing where we're spending our money and how people can be a part of those decisions."
Republican Judy Barr Topinka currently holds the office and is expected to run for re-election. Topinka is largely considered a strong incumbent. Simon says she didn't pick the office because it would be an easy win. she says she decided on State Comptroller because it's a job where she can do the best work for the state.
"And I think there is really room to improve in terms of what people know in how we are spending money as a state and how we make sure it's not just that office providing accounting, but really accountability," she said.
Simon will conclude her announcement tour tonight in Carbondale with a reception at the Civic Center at 8 p.m. Simon says tomorrow she will continue her work as Lt. Governor as well as work in campaigning for State Comptroller. Simon could face Will County Auditor Duffy Blackburn in a Democratic primary.