Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed July 1, 2009
IL Legislature Adjourns, No Talks Scheduled
By Todd Hatton/AP
Springfield, IL – The effort to come up with a state budget broke down completely last night, meaning Illinois will begin a new fiscal year today without any plan for paying its employees or delivering government services. Government won't shut down without a budget in place, but the situation creates uncertainty for anyone who depends on state money: government workers, road crews, community agencies caring for the sick and needy, and more. The Legislature adjourned last night without any firm plans to return or even for the governor and legislative leaders to resume negotiations.