Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed July 1, 2009
IL Legislature Adjourns, No Talks Scheduled
By Todd Hatton/AP
Springfield, IL – The effort to come up with a state budget broke down completely last night, meaning Illinois will begin a new fiscal year today without any plan for paying its employees or delivering government services. Government won't shut down without a budget in place, but the situation creates uncertainty for anyone who depends on state money: government workers, road crews, community agencies caring for the sick and needy, and more. The Legislature adjourned last night without any firm plans to return or even for the governor and legislative leaders to resume negotiations.