Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Tue May 28, 2013
IL House Approves Medicaid Expansion
The Illinois House has approved a Medicaid expansion to cover low-income adults who don't have children at home. Expanding the health care program for the poor and disabled is a key part of President Barack Obama's health care law. House lawmakers approved the measure 63-55 yesterday.
Up to half a million uninsured Illinoisans would be newly eligible for coverage, with the federal government paying costs for three years. Under the complex measure, 342,000 people are expected to enroll by 2017. Republicans opposed to the bill worried about future costs and long-term stability.