Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Tue May 28, 2013
IL House Approves Medicaid Expansion
The Illinois House has approved a Medicaid expansion to cover low-income adults who don't have children at home. Expanding the health care program for the poor and disabled is a key part of President Barack Obama's health care law. House lawmakers approved the measure 63-55 yesterday.
Up to half a million uninsured Illinoisans would be newly eligible for coverage, with the federal government paying costs for three years. Under the complex measure, 342,000 people are expected to enroll by 2017. Republicans opposed to the bill worried about future costs and long-term stability.