Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri May 31, 2013
IL House Approves Gas And Oil Regulations
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, a manufacturers' association and representatives from the oil and gas industry are praising a measure to regulate high-volume oil and gas drilling in Illinois. The House overwhelmingly approved the plan yesterday. The bill outlines rules that energy companies would have to follow during hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking." The executive vice president of the Illinois Oil and Gas Association says efforts on the compromise bill were "monumental.
The head of the Illinois Manufacturing Association says it'll create jobs. Ann Alexander is a senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council who helped craft the regulations. She says it's good to see Illinois moving forward with public protections. Opponents worry it would cause air and water pollution and deplete water resources.