Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri October 30, 2009
IL General Assembly Creates Massac-Metropolis Port
By Chris Taylor
Metropolis, IL – Illinois' General Assembly passed legislation yesterday to create the Massac-Metropolis Port District, hoping to create jobs and stimulate the local economy by taking advantage of the Ohio River's transportation network. The bill now goes to Governor Pat Quinn's desk to be signed into law. It will establish a seven-member board to oversee the development of a port facility in Massac County. Metropolis Mayor Billy McDaniel tells the Paducah Sun he thinks the port will at first be a land-to-water facility, loading barges via crane. He speculates the port will create 200-400 jobs within the next five years.