Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed December 19, 2012
IL Department Gives Weather Warning to Aging Adults
Illinois officials are reminding older adults to get ready for the approaching cold weather. The state’s Department on Aging says people should have their furnace checked to make sure it’s in good shape before colder temperatures roll in. They also advise older adults to set their thermostats above 65 degrees. Lowering the thermostat to reduce heating bills carries a risk for older adults, who are more susceptible to hypothermia.
The department also suggests stocking up on non-perishable food supplies, making arrangements to have medications delivered and planning for someone else to shovel the snow.