Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu October 2, 2008
IL Casino Tax Revenue Down
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – A new report from the Illinois legislature shows the state's riverboat casino tax revenue decreased 121 million dollars during the last fiscal year, and they expect that trend to continue in the coming months. Some lawmakers say the results should prompt a second look at the ban on smoking in casinos. Lawmakers approved the smoking ban in virtually all indoor public places last year starting January 1. Almost immediately, casinos complained it was crippling their business. However, some legislators say the nationwide economic slowdown, along with higher costs for fuel and other goods, are the main culprits in the drop in revenue.