Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon January 11, 2010
Ice Closes KY/MO Ferry
Hickman, KY – The ferry serving as the only connection between western Kentucky and eastern Missouri has shut down because of ice in the harbor and Mississippi River. The Dorena-Hickman Ferry shut down at about 3:00 Friday afternoon. Captain Ed Floyd stopped the crossing after finding ice at the mouth of Hickman Harbor. Kentucky Department of Transportation spokesman Keith Todd says with temperatures expected to remain below freezing, operations for the ferry will be evaluated each day to decide if the crossing can resume. The Dorena-Hickman Ferry is the only place to cross the river between the border of Kentucky and Missouri without going through a third state.