Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue June 16, 2009
Hundreds More Stimulus Jobs Available
By Jacque Day
Purchase and Pennyrile – A Summer Works Program slating 600 jobs for youth throughout 17 counties in the Purchase and Pennyrile region still has hundreds of available slots. As of Monday, 322 people gained employment through the program, working in government agencies, schools, nursing homes and recycling centers. Rana Sullivan of the Purchase Area Development District says hiring is expected to go into July.
"Workers can get a pre-application and submit to our office, and work sites can definitely contact us if they're interested in accepting some youth for the program."
Funding for the Summer Works Program comes from nearly $2 million in economic stimulus dollars. Workers make $8 per hour, and wages are paid through the Project at no cost to participating businesses. Eligible workers must be between 18 and 24 year old.