Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
2013 KY General Assembly
Fri February 8, 2013
House Delays Vote on Taxing Districts Measure
The Kentucky House is voting today on legislation that would strengthen oversight of the state's more than 1,200 local taxing districts. The vote was postponed yesterday. The House Committee on Local Government approved the legislation Wednesday. The measure sets up a system for auditing the taxing districts, which spend some $2.7 billion a year to operate rural fire departments, airports, sanitation districts and even libraries. It would also create an online database where taxpayers could review financial reports for each taxing district.
Auditors have identified more than 1,200 taxing districts that collect $1.5 billion in taxes and fees each year, plus a billion in government grants and private donations.