Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Wed July 24, 2013
Hopkinsville Named Fastest Growing City in Kentucky
U.S. Census figures show Hopkinsville as the fastest growing city in the Commonwealth. The Bureau's recent figures show a 3% growth in population between 2011 and 2012. The increase is a full percent higher than Georgetown which is the next fastest growing city in Kentucky.
The growth represents 975 new residents, bringing the city's population to just below 33,000. Hopkinsville officials credit growth in the military, agricultural and manufacturing sectors for the influx. Owensboro, Henderson, Elizabethtown and Bowling Green all saw moderate growth while Paducah and Madisonville saw a reduction in population.