Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Thu June 20, 2013
Honeywell To Start “Front End” Operations Today
Honeywell’s Metropolis plant is starting the “front end” of its operations today. In a letter to employees, Plant Manager Larry Smith says the facility is ready to resume work on ore preparation and green salt production. He says the plant still needs receive final approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, but is optimistic the NRC will complete their reviews and issue a restart decision in early July.
Last year, Honeywell laid off more than 220 workers after the NRC found that plants nationwide had failed to support structures with proper braces, leaving some facilities vulnerable to an earthquake or tornado. Honeywell refines uranium into hexafluoride, or UF6, which is used as fuel for nuclear power generation.