Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue April 16, 2013
Honeywell To Reopen With Fewer Jobs
Honeywell officials project lower employment levels when work resumes at the Metropolis plant this summer. The company announced in a letter to employees yesterday it plans restarting production by June.
The company also plans to rehire an estimated 270 employees by mid-May, fewer than before the shutdown. The plant converts uranium ore into uranium hexafluoride. Honeywell says UF6 is an essential compound used to produce enriched uranium for use as fuel in nuclear power plants. Nuclear Regulatory Commission inspectors prompted the shutdown when they found equipment there could not withstand a major earthquake or tornado.