Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Mon November 16, 2009
Homeless Forum Highlights Child Problem
By Angela Hatton
Paducah, KY – Homelessness is on the rise, and western Kentucky is no exception. At a Homeless Awareness Forum today Paducah Cooperative Ministries sought to encourage more community action to fight the problem. Executive Director Heidi Suhrheinrich [sir-HINE-rick] says in the last year, shelters have seen a big increase in the number of children they serve. Many of those children are under the age of five. Only eight states have a higher child homeless population than Kentucky. Paducah Mayor Bill Paxton also spoke at the forum and issued a proclamation that promised to educate the public on homelessness.