Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon November 16, 2009
Homeless Forum Highlights Child Problem
By Angela Hatton
Paducah, KY – Homelessness is on the rise, and western Kentucky is no exception. At a Homeless Awareness Forum today Paducah Cooperative Ministries sought to encourage more community action to fight the problem. Executive Director Heidi Suhrheinrich [sir-HINE-rick] says in the last year, shelters have seen a big increase in the number of children they serve. Many of those children are under the age of five. Only eight states have a higher child homeless population than Kentucky. Paducah Mayor Bill Paxton also spoke at the forum and issued a proclamation that promised to educate the public on homelessness.