Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Sun October 12, 2008
Heart Health Program Launches in Kentucky
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Lieutenant Governor and physician Daniel Mongiardo today launched a state chapter of the national heart health initiative Your Heart is in Your Hands. The program is designed to improve cardiovascular health by giving participants the ability to meet health goals and record their nutritional and physical activity online. After signing up for the program, participants commit to a twelve-week challenge course to increase exercise and the number of fruits and vegetables in their diets. Mongiardo says two-thirds of Kentuckians are overweight or obese, and he hopes the program will lessen cases of heart disease and other cardiovascular illnesses.