Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu October 4, 2012
Health organization starts grant program to fight chronic diseases
A statewide health organization is planning a five-year, three million dollar grant program to help reduce chronic diseases in the Commonwealth.
The Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky wants to help up to ten communities fight the spread of chronic diseases in young people.
Foundation CEO Susan Zepeda says any organization in Kentucky can apply for funds.
"It's a little bit of all of the above. Community to community its going to vary as to who is the spark plug, who is the one who gathers people together to move this work forward," he said.
The grants would target diabetes, heart disease and cancer, to name a few of the most troublesome illnesses.