Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Tue May 22, 2012
Hatchett wins 1st district primary, 2010 rematch in the works
It will be a re-match of the Kentucky’s 2010 1st District Congressional Race this fall. Marshall County Real-estate broker Charles Hatchett will face long-time republican incumbent Ed Whitfield.
Hatchett, who defeated Henderson Doctor James Buckmaster, says even though he’ll be outspent in the fall he could still win. “Right now it’s a mountain, but it’s amazing to get this many votes and it was a mountain too,” said Hatchett. His primary opponent, despite his loss, also think that Whitfield is beatable.
It would take a coalition of people to beat him,” said Buckmaster. “The conservative Democrats, the traditional democrats… perhaps the more conservative independents, and the TEA Party.” Buckmaster said he hasn’t decided if he will lend his support to the Hatchett campaign for the fall race. Last fall Congressman Whitfield beat Hatchett with 70 percent of the vote.