Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Tue May 22, 2012
Hatchett wins 1st district primary, 2010 rematch in the works
It will be a re-match of the Kentucky’s 2010 1st District Congressional Race this fall. Marshall County Real-estate broker Charles Hatchett will face long-time republican incumbent Ed Whitfield.
Hatchett, who defeated Henderson Doctor James Buckmaster, says even though he’ll be outspent in the fall he could still win. “Right now it’s a mountain, but it’s amazing to get this many votes and it was a mountain too,” said Hatchett. His primary opponent, despite his loss, also think that Whitfield is beatable.
It would take a coalition of people to beat him,” said Buckmaster. “The conservative Democrats, the traditional democrats… perhaps the more conservative independents, and the TEA Party.” Buckmaster said he hasn’t decided if he will lend his support to the Hatchett campaign for the fall race. Last fall Congressman Whitfield beat Hatchett with 70 percent of the vote.