Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue January 29, 2013
Haslam Presents Spending Plan
In last night’s state of the state address Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam presented lawmakers a nearly $33 billion dollar annual spending plan including a staffing shakeup at the troubled Department of Children's Services, a heavy investment into construction projects around the state and a large deposit into the state's cash savings fund.
Haslam also formally introduced his proposal to create a limited school voucher program allowing parents to use public money to send their children to private schools. According to legislation filed in the Senate Monday, the program would be limited to 5,000 students in the school year beginning in August, and grow to 20,000 students by 2016.