Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Thu August 30, 2012
Hanson Mining Ordinance Under Review
The Hopkins County Joint Planning Commission is reviewing the city of Hanson’s laws to allow mining within city limits. The city passed an ordinance in 1990 banning mining. But Mayor Charles Young says Alliance Coal has purchased land within city limits, and the city commission wants to allow them to use the land for underground mining.
Planning Commission Director Ted Adkins says the mining ordinance is separate from the city’s zoning ordinance, making revisions more difficult. Adkins says he has researched the ordinance and hasn’t found any similar situations in the state. The planning and city commissions will meet next week to discuss how to proceed.