Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Thu August 30, 2012
Hanson Mining Ordinance Under Review
The Hopkins County Joint Planning Commission is reviewing the city of Hanson’s laws to allow mining within city limits. The city passed an ordinance in 1990 banning mining. But Mayor Charles Young says Alliance Coal has purchased land within city limits, and the city commission wants to allow them to use the land for underground mining.
Planning Commission Director Ted Adkins says the mining ordinance is separate from the city’s zoning ordinance, making revisions more difficult. Adkins says he has researched the ordinance and hasn’t found any similar situations in the state. The planning and city commissions will meet next week to discuss how to proceed.