Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu August 23, 2012
Ham auctioned for $300,000 at KY State Fair
The Kentucky State Fair grand champion country ham fetched $300,000 at a charity auction Thursday. Since 1964, the top ham has been auctioned at the close of the Kentucky Farm Bureau country ham breakfast. This year’s top bidder was Louisville optometrist Dr. Mark Lynn.
"Louisville has been very, very good to us, we’ve been very lucky in life. We feel very fortunate. I’ve got four great kids, seven great-grandkids and a wonderful wife and it’s time to give back."
This year’s top bid of $300,000 was considerably lower than a year ago, when Republic Bank executives bought the grand champion for $600,000. In 2010, Lynn and Republic Bank teamed up to buy the ham for $1.6 million. Lynn says his purchase will benefit several local charities. The ham, produced by Scott Hams of Greenville, Ky, will be donated to the Wayside Christian Mission.