Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed March 25, 2009
Guns in Parks
By Angela Hatton
Grand Rivers, KY – A Tennessee State House panel has passed a proposal to authorize local governments to allow people with handgun permits to carry their loaded weapons at parks and playgrounds. The bill would require a majority vote by the local governing body to apply the measure. Local governments could also decide to allow guns in some parks, but not others. Current law bars guns from being carried in any state or local park in Tennessee. The bill advanced out of the House Judiciary Committee on a voice vote this morning. A separate measure to allow guns in state parks has also cleared the panel.