Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University "Doing Everything They Can To Stay Open"
Thu June 4, 2009
Guns in Bars Veto Overridden
By Angela Hatton
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee Senate has now joined the House in overriding Governor Phil Bredesen's veto of a bill to allow residents to carry handguns in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. The Senate voted 21-9 against the veto today, a day after the House voted 69-27. Before the governor's veto, the measure was to take effect June 1, but will now be effective July 14. Currently, 37 states have similar legislation.