Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Thu June 21, 2012
Grimes' Grandmother Dies at 92
Originally published on Thu June 21, 2012 3:14 pm
The paternal grandmother of Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes who appeared in TV ads during her granddaughter's successful campaign last year has died.
Thelma Lundergan McHugh died at her home in Jessamine County, surrounded by her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and loved ones. She was 92.
"My grandmother instilled in me the confidence that I could accomplish anything I put my mind to and taught me by example the importance of being involved in my community," Grimes said in a news release.
Last fall, McHugh filmed a 30-second spot for Grimes during the 2011 general election along with the secretary of state's other maternal grandmother, Elsie Case. Political observers credited the commercial's creativity and positive pitch during an overall negative campaign season.
"I am grateful to friends of my grandmother across the state who have shown their support during this time. My grandmother lived a life worth celebrating, and I am moved by the kind words and touching memories people have shared leading up to and since her passing," says Grimes. "I hope to honor her memory by continuing her legacy of service and hard work."
Arrangements for McHugh’s visitation and funeral are pending.