Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon October 7, 2013
Graves County School Board to Vote on Special Election
The Graves County Board of Education will have a special meeting at noon Wednesday, to vote on whether or not to proceed with a special election involving a proposed 18 percent property tax increase.
The tax increase would raise Graves County’s property tax from 37.5 cents to 44.4 cents in an effort to bolster county schools. The special election is a result of a petition circulated by county residents who don’t want the tax increase.
Graves County Clerk Barry Kennemore said he presented the school board with a $40,000 estimate for the special election, which they must pay for should they vote to through with it.
Kennemore said he has earmarked November 12 for the vote, so county tax bills can be mailed out by December 1.