Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri January 4, 2013
Grants Awarded for Colon Cancer Screenings
Ten Kentucky health departments are receiving grants that will allow them to do more colon cancer screenings for low-income, uninsured Kentuckians. Calloway County and Christian County health departments will both receive part of the one million dollars in grants from the General Assembly and the Kentucky Cancer Foundation.
Gov. Steve Beshear says Kentucky’s rate of the disease is higher than the national average. Each year in Kentucky, about 2,600 people are diagnosed with colon cancer 900 die from the disease.