Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- IL State Workers Worried Over Pension Debate
Fri January 4, 2013
Grants Awarded for Colon Cancer Screenings
Ten Kentucky health departments are receiving grants that will allow them to do more colon cancer screenings for low-income, uninsured Kentuckians. Calloway County and Christian County health departments will both receive part of the one million dollars in grants from the General Assembly and the Kentucky Cancer Foundation.
Gov. Steve Beshear says Kentucky’s rate of the disease is higher than the national average. Each year in Kentucky, about 2,600 people are diagnosed with colon cancer 900 die from the disease.