Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon August 13, 2012
Governor Pat Quinn Signs New Veteran-focused Laws
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources will be able to hire more veterans under new legislation signed into law. Governor Pat Quinn signed four veterans-related bills yesterday in honor of the Illinois State Fair's Veterans Day. One law allows the agency to hire more veterans as conservation police by waiving the four-year college requirement and goes into effect immediately. Another bill doubles the number of days allotted for military service-related hospital visits for some state employees from two to four days annually. The other laws deal with treatment records of veterans in the criminal justice system and an expansion of the number of families eligible for special license plates to honor fallen police and firefighters as well as veterans.