Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Fri May 25, 2012
Governor Haslam Signs Bill to Help Unemployed
Governor Bill Haslam has signed a proposal to help Tennesseans get off unemployment and find a job. The legislation, called the "Tennessee Works Act.,” unanimously passed both the state House and Senate.
It creates a pilot program providing employers with grants to pay for training expenses for recently laid-off workers or workers whose jobs have gone overseas. In order to continue receiving the grant funds, employers agree to hire a portion of the employees trained. Sponsors say the legislation is proof Republicans and Democrats can work together to make Tennessee a better place.