Most Active Stories
- Murray State Ranked 9th Best Public University in the South
- MSU Faculty, Students Hold Second Demonstration to Address Issues of Racism
- Missing: Holly Bobo's Remains Found and Identified in Northwest TN
- CHART: Hopkins County School Board Boosts Property Taxes Among Highest County Districts in West KY
- Holly Bobo Case Already Most Expensive in Tennessee Bureau of Investigation History
Fri October 7, 2011
GOP Encouraged to Cut Williams Loose
By Phillip Bailey/KPR/Gary Pitts
Frankfort, KY – U.S. Senator Rand Paul's former campaign manager is calling on the Kentucky Republican Party to cut gubernatorial nominee David Williams loose. Williams is trailing Democratic incumbent Steve Beshear by 31 points in the latest poll, and the governor is ahead among key conservative constituents. Political observers say the commanding lead could hurt other GOP candidates in down ticket races. Kentucky Knows Best Executive Director David Adams says at this point in the governor's race, Republicans shouldn't waste any resources on Williams and should concentrate on other candidates.
"There's no question that the Republican Party has nominated somebody for a statewide office who can't win and I think that's abundantly clear to anybody who is paying attention. Any kind of conversation that we have going forward needs to be based on that fact."
When asked about the Tea Party leader's message, Williams says Adams's viewpoint is insignificant to the election's outcome. Williams says GOP voters will "come home" by November and that he isn't concerned about poll numbers.