Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Mon October 26, 2009
GOP Census Letter Lambasted
By Charles Compton
Richmond, KY – A mass mailing campaign labeled by the Republican National Committee as a "census" is under attack by Kentucky Democrats. The envelope makes no reference to the G-O-P. Instead, the official-looking document refers to itself as a "census document." Democratic party spokeswoman Liz Fossett says it's really a fundraising letter.
"We're not surprised that they would call a fundraiser a census because the Republicans' approach to politics has always been clever misrepresentation and that's what you have when you're calling a fundraiser a census."
Kentucky Republicans referred all questions to national party headquarters. A representative with the Republican National Committee responded with an article in USA Today. R-N-C spokesperson Gail Gitcho [GIT-cho], reportedly said "the only aim of this document is to gather Republican opinion from across the country and raise money." A nationwide census, sanctioned by the U-S constitution, doesn't officially begin until next year.