Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu March 11, 2010
GOP Candidate Opts Out of Senate Race
Hopkinsville, KY – Republican Bill Johnson is bowing out of Kentucky's U.S. Senate race, citing an internal poll that showed him trailing two better known GOP candidates. Johnson made the announcement Wednesday afternoon. Johnson shot down a widely held belief that he was a spoiler in the race by leaving without endorsing either of his chief rivals, Bowling Green eye surgeon Rand Paul and Secretary of State Trey Grayson. Johnson says the results of his internal poll suggested he had little chance of winning the Republican primary. His departure leaves five Republicans and five Democrats vying for the seat of retiring Senator Jim Bunning.