Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu June 21, 2012
Good Read: Prayers for Bobby by Leroy Aarons
(Your purchase supports WKMS!)
Bobby Griffith was an all-American boy …and he was gay. Faced with an irresolvable conflict-for both his family and his religion taught him that being gay was “wrong”-Bobby chose to take his own life. Prayers for Bobby, nominated for a 1996 Lambda Literary Award, is the story of the emotional journey that led Bobby to this tragic conclusion. But it is also the story of Bobby’s mother, a fearful churchgoer who first prayed that her son would be “healed,” then anguished over his suicide, and ultimately transformed herself into a national crusader for gay and lesbian youth.
Caleb Campbell says:
“I was blown away by this biography of a young man shattered by denial and self-hatred. It’s a book everyone should be required to read. Bobby is someone in every community and every family. The journey his mother goes through after his death to find acceptance and understanding is one that every parent will be able to relate to. A moving piece of non-fiction.”