Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Good Reads: Kids
Thu June 21, 2012
Good Read: Leviathan
(Your purchase supports WKMS!)
It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet. With the Great War brewing, Alek’s and Deryn’s paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.
Matt Markgraf says:
“Leviathan is a quintessential steampunk, alternate history thrill ride featuring two young protagonists, Alek and Deryn, who form an unlikely team to save an embattled Europe in the throes of WWI. Don’t let the huge walking machines and living airships fool you – this book is of literary quality, written with the finest attention to detail and a strong emphasis on characterization. Luckily, it’s the first of a series!”