Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Thu June 21, 2012
Good Read: The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Book 1) by Stephen King
(Your purchase supports WKMS!)
The Gunslinger is a novel by American author Stephen King, and is the first volume in the Dark Tower series, which King considers to be his magnum opus. It was first published in 1982. The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, “the man in black”, for many years. The novel follows Roland’s trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.
David Weatherly says:
“I’m starting Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” series. Just finished the first book, The Gunslinger. I am upset with myself, being a reader of King, for not picking this series up sooner. It’s quite different from his other work. The pace is slower and it is riddled with philosophic and religious undertones. King set out to write his great epic in the tradition of The Lord of The Rings but gave his story a western feeling and set it in the post-apocalyptic future. Looks like I’ve found my summer reading!”