Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri June 15, 2012
Good Read: Girl Trouble by Holly Goddard Jones
(Your purchase supports WKMS!)
Acclaimed writer Holly Goddard Jones examines small-town Southerners aching to be good, even as they live in doubt about what goodness is. A high school basketball coach learns that his star player is pregnant–with his child. A lonely woman refIects on her failed marriage and the single act of violence, years buried, that brought about its destruction. In these eight beautifully written, achingly poignant, and occasionally heartbreaking stories, the fine line between right and wrong, good and bad, love and violence is walked over and over again. Written with extraordinary empathy and maturity, and with the breadth and complexity of a novel, Jones′s stories shed light on the darkness of the human condition.
“Publishers Weekly called this book of short stories ‘a powerful sum of reflection, loss and regret.’ I call it darn good writing. Jones writes about western Kentucky in a way that doesn’t demoralize or exploit its people. Often while reading the book, I forgot where I was and completely fell into the scene on the page. If you’re not afraid to be deeply moved, read Girl Trouble.” – Angela Hatton