Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Tue February 5, 2013
Gay Marriage Expected in IL Committee Hearing
Legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in Illinois is expected to come up in a Senate committee meeting today and could see a floor vote on Valentine's Day. Democratic Senator Heather Steans is the bill’s sponsor. She says it's on the executive committee's agenda, and she's confident it has the support to pass the Senate next week.
Senate President John Cullerton says he believes the bill has the 30 votes needed to pass and move to the House. The legislation would grant same-sex couples rights available to heterosexual couples. Advocates say the time is right because of momentum in other states and changing public opinion. However, some religious groups still oppose the idea.