Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Tue February 5, 2013
Gay Marriage Expected in IL Committee Hearing
Legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in Illinois is expected to come up in a Senate committee meeting today and could see a floor vote on Valentine's Day. Democratic Senator Heather Steans is the bill’s sponsor. She says it's on the executive committee's agenda, and she's confident it has the support to pass the Senate next week.
Senate President John Cullerton says he believes the bill has the 30 votes needed to pass and move to the House. The legislation would grant same-sex couples rights available to heterosexual couples. Advocates say the time is right because of momentum in other states and changing public opinion. However, some religious groups still oppose the idea.