Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Tue February 5, 2013
Gay Marriage Expected in IL Committee Hearing
Legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in Illinois is expected to come up in a Senate committee meeting today and could see a floor vote on Valentine's Day. Democratic Senator Heather Steans is the bill’s sponsor. She says it's on the executive committee's agenda, and she's confident it has the support to pass the Senate next week.
Senate President John Cullerton says he believes the bill has the 30 votes needed to pass and move to the House. The legislation would grant same-sex couples rights available to heterosexual couples. Advocates say the time is right because of momentum in other states and changing public opinion. However, some religious groups still oppose the idea.