Gas Leak Near Murray Elementary Prompts Evacuations

May 11, 2018

Credit Matt Markgraf, WKMS

  A gas leak in Murray this morning prompted evacuations at several homes and a nearby elementary school.

Murray City Fire Chief Eric Pologruto said at around 10:00 a.m. the fire department responded to a call about a gas leak at a residential home on South 16th Street.

 

He said a landscaping company accidentally cut the gas line while mowing.

 

Pologruto said the fire department did a precautionary evacuation of the area, which included sending nearby Murray Elementary School students inside during recess.

 

He said the fire department dissipated the leaking gas with a hose line until the gas company arrived to plug the leak. Murray Elementary was given an ‘all clear’ within an hour of the precautionary measures.