Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
Tue January 13, 2009
Fraternity Not Liable In Yonts Case
By Chad Lampe
Murray, KY – A federal judge dismissed a national fraternity from a wrongful death suit today. The case stems from a fatal accident involving a former Murray State student and lawmaker's son. Judge Thomas B Russell ruled Lambda Chi Alpha and its Murray State chapter cannot be held responsible for the behavior of Burgess Harrison Yonts, the son of Kentucky Rep. Brent Yonts. Yonts was convicted of wanton murder in the hit and run death of a Murray State Graduate Student. Former Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher commuted Yonts sentence from 20 years to eight.