Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon August 10, 2009
Fort Campbell Welcomes Home Vietnam Vets
Fort Campbell, KY – Since the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers who have returned to Fort Campbell has been greeted by waving flags, an Army band and plenty of family and friends. That was not the case in the 1960s and early '70s, when there was very little support for many Vietnam veterans returning from combat.
So leaders at Fort Campbell decided make it up to the previous generation and give them a long-awaited welcome home celebration this week. The event will be held on Sunday, Aug. 16, as a part of the installation's annual celebration for the 101st Airborne Division called Week of the Eagles.
Fort Campbell spokeswoman Cathy Gramling said the response has been overwhelming and approximately 1,300 veterans and their families from across the country are expected to attend.