Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon August 10, 2009
Fort Campbell Welcomes Home Vietnam Vets
Fort Campbell, KY – Since the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers who have returned to Fort Campbell has been greeted by waving flags, an Army band and plenty of family and friends. That was not the case in the 1960s and early '70s, when there was very little support for many Vietnam veterans returning from combat.
So leaders at Fort Campbell decided make it up to the previous generation and give them a long-awaited welcome home celebration this week. The event will be held on Sunday, Aug. 16, as a part of the installation's annual celebration for the 101st Airborne Division called Week of the Eagles.
Fort Campbell spokeswoman Cathy Gramling said the response has been overwhelming and approximately 1,300 veterans and their families from across the country are expected to attend.