Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri June 29, 2012
Fire Burns Land Around Pennyrile Parkway
Officials say sparks from an electric line caused yesterday's wildfire along the Pennyrile Parkway in Christian County.
The fire began around 4 pm on the east side of the Parkway near Hopkinsville. Heavy smoke drifting onto the highway caused officials to detour traffic for about 7 miles. Nearly 20 professional and volunteer fire departments fought the blaze which burned more than 500 acres according to early estimates. The highway reopened around 3 am this morning. Kentucky Division of Forestry’s Lynn True says the parkway fire underscores how vulnerable dry conditions have made western Kentucky.