Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Fri June 29, 2012
Fire Burns Land Around Pennyrile Parkway
Officials say sparks from an electric line caused yesterday's wildfire along the Pennyrile Parkway in Christian County.
The fire began around 4 pm on the east side of the Parkway near Hopkinsville. Heavy smoke drifting onto the highway caused officials to detour traffic for about 7 miles. Nearly 20 professional and volunteer fire departments fought the blaze which burned more than 500 acres according to early estimates. The highway reopened around 3 am this morning. Kentucky Division of Forestry’s Lynn True says the parkway fire underscores how vulnerable dry conditions have made western Kentucky.