Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Fri June 29, 2012
Fire Burns Land Around Pennyrile Parkway
Officials say sparks from an electric line caused yesterday's wildfire along the Pennyrile Parkway in Christian County.
The fire began around 4 pm on the east side of the Parkway near Hopkinsville. Heavy smoke drifting onto the highway caused officials to detour traffic for about 7 miles. Nearly 20 professional and volunteer fire departments fought the blaze which burned more than 500 acres according to early estimates. The highway reopened around 3 am this morning. Kentucky Division of Forestry’s Lynn True says the parkway fire underscores how vulnerable dry conditions have made western Kentucky.