Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Wed August 19, 2009
Frankfort, KY – An attempt to block an early release program for state prison inmates has now reached the Kentucky Supreme Court. Assistant Attorney General Hays Lawson argues a lower court ruling allowing the program to continue should be reversed. Another lower court ordered the program stopped. But Justice Mary Noble questions whether the courts should even be questioning legislative intent.
"Doesn't the act itself basically, if not say outright, clearly imply that, look, this is for now emergency thing and we're doing it to save money because we're in financial straits."
To date, seven thousand prisoners and parolees have been released under the program, which was approved by the 2008 General Assembly. The Supreme Court made no immediate ruling in the case, which means, for now, the program will continue.